Tuesday, December 17, 2013

One Thing I have Learned from My College Career



I was recently thinking about my first semester of school.
I was a nervous 17 year old ready to conquer the world.  I was excited and nervous for what the next four years would hold.  If I could go back in time and offer that 17 year old girl one piece of advice before I began my long journey of education it would be this:

Do what you love. Even if it will never provide for your family financially, even if it seems like a “silly” degree.

I started school as a nursing major hoping to go to medical school. I wanted a successful career.  Through many trial and errors, including changing my major only 3 times.
I finally decided what I wanted to major in……
Marriage and Family Studies
Most people who know me would admit that this is not a field anyone EVER saw me going into.
To be honest I always saw it as the “mommy degree.”
Now that I am wrapping up my last semester of college with a

Bachelors of Science in Marriage and Family Studies

I can see the importance of following your heart and doing what you love.
I know it was divine intervention that lead me to this course of study, and I couldn’t be happier with my studies.  I have loved all of my classes and I know through my course work I am prepared to defend the traditional family and build our family.
When I was a freshman I saw myself chasing what I thought would be my dream.
I think many who enroll in college focus on what will bring them money and therefore “happiness”
But I give this advice as I prepare to graduate in THREE days.
Do what you love. Find something that you are passionate about and go forward with your education. It  was a sacrifice and definitely a long road but I am grateful I made the decision to continue with my education.




1 comment: